When selecting a power generator for your home, it is essential to have an understanding of your specific needs. To ensure you make the right choice, consider the following factors:
- Your energy requirements
- The type of fuel used
- The size of the generator
- Its features
Doing thorough research and comparing various models will help you make an informed decision and ultimately select the best power generator for your home.
How to Choose the Right Generator?
To choose the right generator for you, ask yourself a few questions:
Here are a few questions to ask yourself while choosing the right generator.
- How do I want to use it?
- How much power do I need?
- What’s my budget?
Other Considerations When Choosing a Portable Generator
- The cost of some fuels may be higher, but they are easier to get, and vice versa. Diesel or gasoline are the most common fuels for generators, but propane, biogas, and natural gas are also options. Gasoline is the preferred fuel for portable generators, undoubtedly.
- Because gasoline is volatile and flammable, it’s best to exercise caution when storing large amounts of it.
- In the unfortunate event of a widespread power outage, you may find getting the fuel you need challenging, as gas pumps require electricity. However, remember that gasoline engines are not as efficient as the diesel, so you may need to consider more frequent servicing.
- Diesel is the optimal choice for fuel, being more economical and efficient than gasoline and propane – and less flammable to boot! Moreover, diesel-powered generators are more reliable and require less maintenance than gasoline-powered ones.
- Propane is a marvellous fuel – it’s the cleanest burning and produces minor emissions. Generators powered by propane are whisper quiet, though they may need to be serviced more regularly than gasoline. Propane fuel is an excellent choice for storage in larger tanks, meaning refills are far less frequent, yet it’s also highly flammable, so it pays to be extra careful with the tank.
If you need a generator, look for one with a low decibel rating – especially if you plan on using it near people. Quieter models are significant for smaller, confined spaces. Some of the more inadequate wattage generators produce sound at a very manageable level.
Generators with acoustic cabinets are quieter than conventional generators. Yet, inverter generators provide a more tranquil environment at a higher cost. Also, they are more efficient because they adjust the engine’s speed according to demand rather than running constantly.
Furthermore, these machines convert AC power into DC power, making them highly versatile.
Finding the perfect generator size (running and starting watts) is about understanding your power needs.
Running watts supply a steady energy flow to ensure your appliances and electronic devices stay on. On the other hand, starting watts are those extra watts needed to get motor-powered products such as a fridge up and running.
To find out the wattage, you need the following:
- Kindly choose the devices that you’d like to energise simultaneously.
- Gather all the essential power data for each device – you’ll need to consult your operator’s manual or the product’s data plate to find the running watts and starting watt requirements.
- Gather all the items you’d like to power, then take note of their RUNNING WATTS. You’ll need a generator that can produce a power output at least as great as the total RUNNING WATTS of your list of items.
- Choose the product boasting the highest number of bonus starting watts. Add this figure to your total running watts. You’ll have to source a generator to generate these accumulative starting watts.
Where to get a Portable Generator:
A portable generator is a perfect addition to your toolkit, giving you the power to stay in control no matter what life throws your way.
Whether you’re using it to keep the lights on during a power outage, get the job done on the worksite, or create a memorable camping trip, you can be sure your generator will be there, ready to provide you with the energy you need.
Perfect House takes care of all your portable generator needs. We will inform you of any changes to lead time or availability, but please plan and don’t delay if you need one! We all hope the supply chain crisis ends soon, so seize the opportunity if you can get one!
Frequently asked Questions about Portable Generator
Does the portable generator need to be grounded?
Indeed! The generator must be grounded correctly to ensure safety. Electric shock can result from improperly dropping a generator. Therefore, it is essential to ensure you are following all the relevant federal, state, and local regulations regarding grounding.
How much does it cost to buy a portable generator?
For savvy homeowners, a generator is a perfect addition to their home. One blackout could mean the difference between a costly destroyed refrigerator full of food and a simple generator to keep your perishables safe!
Not to mention the added convenience of keeping your electronics running during a power outage. Invest in a generator, and you’ll be thanking yourself later! The cost depends on various factors. Call us to learn more!
Can I use the generator during inclement weather?
When running a generator, you have a wide range of weather and temperature options; however, it’s wise to take care of it when not in use by shielding it from the elements to guard against any electrical shorting or corrosion. Moreover, it is essential only to operate a generator indoors.
What are some safety concerns with portable generators?
When using a generator, it is essential to be aware of the potential hazards, such as carbon monoxide poisoning from engine exhaust, electric shock, and fire. To ensure your safety, please take the time to read the instructions to familiarise yourself with its use. Additionally, we recommend keeping the generator dry and avoiding use in wet conditions to prevent accidental electrocution.